The Ultimate Lemongrass Beef Prime Rib Recipe
by Chef Tu David Phu
Prep time: 45 min
Cook time: 90 min
Inactive time: 12 hours
Total time: 14 hours, 15 min
3-Bone Prime Rib
2 tbsp. minced lemongrass
2 tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 cup Lee Kum Kee Oyster Sauce
1 cup sliced scallions
1/4 cup Son Fish Sauce
2 tsp. sesame oil
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. kosher salt
1/8 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
3 tbsp. frying oil
Marinate the Prime Rib
1. In a small mixing bowl, mix thoroughly the minced lemongrass, minced garlic, oyster sauce, scallions, fish sauce, sesame oil, sugar, salt, and black pepper.
2. On a large rimmed baking sheet pan with rack, lay the prime rib fat-side down.
3. Generously apply the marinade all over the prime rib. Make sure to get it into all the nooks and crannies.
4. Marinate uncovered in the fridge for 12 hours.
Sear the Prime Rib
1. Remove the prime rib from fridge 1 hour before cooking. This is called Tempering and doing this allows the meat to cook more evenly.
2. Pre-heat a cast iron pan with the frying oil for 2-3 min or until the oil shimmers.
3. Gently place the prime rib in your pan and sear 2-3 minutes on all sides.
4. Once brown on all sides, place the prime rib back onto the roasting rack and allow it to rest for 30 min.
Roast the Prime Rib
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350F.
2. Roast prime rib for 90 min, rotating it every 30 minutes, or until the internal temp reached 145F (make sure to check the thickest part of the prime rib).
3. Once it's hit the desired temp, remove from the oven and allow it to rest 20-30min prior to carving.
Carve the Prime Rib
1. Remove the ribs from the loin.
2. Slice the loin into 1/2" slices.
3. Plate and garnish as you wish